We are curious if our readers reflect the same as Petfinder's survey. We will report the results next month. THANK YOU!
Cool Facts about
- Science Daily reported "puzzles increase exercise levels and provide cats with stimulation and exercise. Food puzzles take advantage of cats' natural instincts to work for their food. There is a wide range of puzzles on the market: some are mobile (rolled or pushed with the cat's nose or paws), other are stationary, and they can be used with either wet or dry food. For the creative and/or cost-conscious cat owner, DIY food puzzles can also be easily made; for example, by cutting holes in egg boxes or water bottles."
- Swedish researchers are decoding "cat meows to help us better communication with our feline companions." Did you know that "when a cat says 'meow', it is normally addressed to a human being, no another cat" reports National Geographic. It was reported "we are recording people and cats in two different regions of Sweden. In one study, we want to analyze the melody in the cat vocalizations, to see if we can find these patterns in different emotions or in different breeds. In the second study, we want to expose cats to different kinds of human speech and see how they respond. Do they prefer to be spoken to like small children, or do they prefer to be spoken to as an adult? And can they recognize a familiar voice based on intonation and speaking style? We don’t know that yet.“
- And read National Geographic's What Do Cats Think About Us? You May Be Surprised! and Surprising Things You Never Knew About Your Cat to learn how breeds may affect personality (orange tabby is the poster child for the most gregarious cat), why cats respond better to women, and that cats treat humans as other cats!
In addition to the articles, 10 Weird Facts About Dogs, and Dog Facts You Didn't Know, the Top 5 Reasons Why We Love Our Dogs contains some true (at least in our home) reasons why Henry (our rescue lab) fills our heart and home with love!
- A German Shepherd guide dog led her blind companion the entire 2,100 mile Appalachian Trial. (Really cool!)
- Dogs love us even if we can't cook (so true for me!)
- Dog's don't feel guilt! (This surprised me since Henry can look so guilty.)
- Dogs see in color
- A dog's smell center is 40 times larger than a human's